May 1, 2020
As I finally pause for a breath during this extremely challenging time, I would like to take a moment to thank the TEAM here at Argentium Home Care and Argentium Senior Connections for their commitment towards making our programs an option for care during such tumultuous times. Never in our forty-year-plus history, as one of the only nonprofit providers of home care in Chicago and the North Shore, have we ever experienced anything close to what we, and the world for that matter, are contending with today.
THANK YOU to those who continue to utilize our programs and who have been so gracious and patient with us as we call and perform our repetitive exposure screenings. Early detection of fever and respiratory symptoms, as is social distancing, are paramount in the fight against COVID-19!
Argentium Home Care continues to be considered an essential service. Hence, we continue to provide care to existing and new clients, daily. Moreover, in case they are asked and to prevent service interruptions, we have provided a letter to our caregivers verifying that they work for Argentium Home Care as essential workers and that their travel is necessary.
A few additional measures we continue to take towards the health and safety of both those we serve and those we employ include:
- Communicating regularly with caregivers and clients, asking them about their health, their current temperature and if any symptoms have developed.
- Delivery of PPE such as masks, gloves and face shields to our caregivers.
- Additional pay to recognize the tireless dedication and strength to those giving care in COVID-19 positive environments.
- Working remotely to limit exposure yet striving to work and respond efficiently to offer care.
- Providing staff with resources to call for Q&A about COVID-19, where to get tested and where to find mental health resources.
- Daily messages to staff on various topics, including handwashing, tips for traveling safely, proper use of PPE, etc.
- Working with our parent, Chicago Methodist Senior Services, along with other providers to keep abreast of the flourish of updates and guidance from the Illinois Dept. of Public Health, the Chicago Dept. of Public Health and other agencies pertaining to COVID-19.
- Weekly phone calls to participants by Senior Connections’ staff and volunteers, in place of weekly in-person visits.
- A special delivery of donated meals, by Senior Connections to its participants, thanks to the generosity of NaKorn Restaurant in Evanston.
- From our home to your home, we ask you to please take heed of the guidance to stay in, keep your social distance, wash your hands often, and call your doctor at the earliest sign of fever or respiratory symptoms like cough, sore throat or shortness of breath. Safety is the responsibility of us all, as is respecting all!
Please don't hesitate to call us at 847-864-7274 if you have any questions or concerns.
Tricia Mullin, M.S.G, LSW
COVID-19 Corona Virus Resources
A detailed guide to the process for easing Shelter at Home orders, from Gov. Pritzker's office.
List of Medical Lending Closets in Chicago and suburbs, where equipment can be borrowed for short-term use.
If you are sick and have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or suspected to have COVID-19, follow the steps below to help prevent the disease from spreading to people in your home and community.
Flyer with illustrations demonstrating how to properly wear a face mask and patterns for making them with or without sewing.
A free, anonymous emotional support text line, Call4Calm, for Illinois residents experiencing stress and mental health issues related to COVID-19.
A collection of pamphlets with information about the coronavirus. In English and translated into 12 languages from India/South Asia.
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Tips for Dementia Caregivers
Several links to coronavirus-related resources and articles that will be of interest to caregivers and those in their care.
Information about the City of Evanston response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Information for Chicago residents on how the city is responding to the pandemic.
Information for Cook County residents, including links to local agencies that can provide assistance
Information about how the Illinois state government is responding to the pandemic.
Comprehensive news and updates on the coronavirus in the US.
World Health Organization Updates about the Coronavirus pandemic.
NorthShore University Health FAQs about coronavirus.Answers to frequently asked questions about the coronavirus and (COVID-19).
A collection of articles with information about coronavirus and how it impacts older adults.
Articles with information about coronavirus and tips for older adults and caregivers.
Artículos con información sobre coronavirus y consejos para adultos mayores y cuidadores.
Information about how to cope during the coronavirus pandemic.